If you’re anything like me, with a week to go until the Big Day you still haven’t finished gift shopping. I never know what to buy for certain people in my life (step forward the Husband, the Much Older Brother and the Stepdad). So I’ve realised the key is experiences rather than ‘things’, after all everyone already has enough socks. Cue the British Library who have just launched their rather wonderful membership packages.
The British Library is of course not just a London institution but the world’s largest library. Housing over 150 million items and boasting historical pieces dating back to 2000 BC, can you even comprehend that? You can find the Magna Carta, Jane Austen’s notebook and original Beatle’s lyrics making it feel like so much more than just somewhere to peruse the latest novel. Part museum, part grown up adventure playground, it’s the perfect place to escape to on dark, wintry days with so much to see and do.
But if you think this is a destination only for book lovers, think again. The extensive events calendar offers everything from researching business ideas to a concert of chamber music. As someone who did American Studies at university, I’ve got my eye on ‘North America at the British Library’ covering historical, literary and contemporary perspectives on the region.
Personally, I can’t wait to visit the exclusive Member’s Room, described as ‘one of the best in London’ and overlooking the King’s Library. What I love about the membership is that you can take a guest to exhibitions and to the Knowledge Centre Bar. So I can least pretend to be intelligent whilst having a glass of wine…
To pick up your own perfect membership gift from the British Library, you can buy them here. A single membership costs £80 and a joint is £120. Want to know exactly what you’ll get for your gift? It doesn’t get much better than this:
- Free entry for you and a guest to British Library exhibitions
- Exclusive access for you and a guest to the daytime Members’ Room, overlooking the King’s Library
- Entry for you and three friends to the Knowledge Centre Bar, with food and drink every weeknight from 18.00 – 22.00
- Four free event tickets each year
- Priority booking and discount for selected events
- Listings guides sent direct so you’re always up to date with what’s on
- 20% off in our public restaurants, cafés and shops
- Free book from the Library’s bestselling Crime Classics range
- Extended Reader Pass*
Thank you so much to the British Library for collaborating with me on this post. They have provided me a complimentary year’s membership in return for a feature on the blog. Please do go and support this wonderful institution.