Way back when the blog came to life, I wrote an early post about why I hate cleaning. It’s literally the bane of my existence and at the grand old age of nearly 38, I haven’t found a way to fit it into my life. There are so many time-saving devices now aren’t there? Things designed to make our lives easier. So when a Shark Cordless vacuum arrived at #projectselondonhome, I was curious to see if it could revolutionise my life and make me actually like cleaning.
It’s time to confess I’m a little bit jealous of people who like cleaning. Homes that always appear spotless. I’m always left wondering how they manage it, especially since most of them have children. We have no children but our furbabies Boo and Maddie seem to more than compensate for the levels of dirt and mess. There is always hair, everywhere. Maddie comes in from her walks normally caked head to toe in mud and Boo is a cat who likes his creature comforts and covers our bed in fluff.
Plus, Pete and I just don’t have the inclination during the week to keep on top of it so cleaning is always a weekend chore. And it often takes a whole day to work our way round our 4 bedroom, 3 floor home. Mainly because neither of us enjoy doing it and we keep finding very valid reasons to procrastinate.
Shark is a brand I wasn’t familiar with at all but started seeing it pop up all over Instagram with users raving about them. The more I saw, the more I wanted to experience it first hand and popped along to launch of their latest cordless range a couple of months ago. It all looked very impressive but could a Shark Cordless vacuum really change my cleaning habits?
Before we go any further, here are the technical bits. Don’t go to sleep on me ok? The new range of Shark Cordless vacuums varies between one battery or two batteries and whether they come with TruePet technology or not. I received the Shark DuoClean Cordless Vacuum Cleaner with TruePet and Flexology (twin battery) IF250UKT. Try saying that after too many gins!
What do I love about this cleaner? Let me tell you the ways.
- Park Your Shark – ok it’s a bit of a silly slogan but it’s catchy and it works! The Shark Cordless can’t be left standing upright as it falls upright unless you hold on to it. The flexible hose means you just fold it over to store and click a button to release it back into upright position. This makes it more compact, therefore easier to keep out of the way
- Two Batteries – bonus. No more running out of battery half way round cleaning the house because you can just switch one out for the other. Each battery lasts approximately 20 minutes or so. They can either be charged either via the dock or by plugging the vacuum in directly
- One Button Switch Between Floors – with our main vacuum which is a Miele, you have to change heads between carpet and hard floor surfaces. The DuoClean technology with the Shark Cordless means the two unique brush rolls work together. On each floor in our home, we have a combination of carpet and hard floor so it’s incredibly easy just to keep going and switch a button. It works well on vinyl too which we have in our kitchen, first floor bathroom and top floor en-suite
- It Lights Up – this is the most fun part of the vacuum. There are little headlights in the base so you can really see the floor as you can clean. The battery also has a blue LED indicator with 3 bars to show how much energy you have left and the power switches on the top also light up
- It’s Light – so easy to transport around the house which is helpful when you just want to buzz round for a quick clean up. We have a cat flap in the back door of the kitchen that Boo uses to come and go, whereas we let Maddie through the patio doors into the dining room. Then our dog-walker comes in and out through the front door with her during the week. All this means that we could vacuum every day but never bothered until now
- It’s Powerful – ok, so I don’t think a cordless would ever be able to compete with a plugged source. Our main vacuum is the Miele Cat & Dog and that will always be the one we use for a deep-clean but this is phenomenal. It’s coped with everything we’ve thrown at it so far and for day-to-day use it’s brilliant.
- Flexibility – the wand has a nifty button which makes it invert. Once you get used to the fact that it looks like an arm broken at a wrong angle, you quickly realise how handy it is for getting under sofas/cupboards/tables, all those places you usually never bother with because no-one will ever look there. The head also swivels like a mad thing and somehow feels like it’s driving itself. So instead of you needing to manoeuvre to get into the right spot or angle, the Shark Cordless does it for you
- Easy to Clean – the filters, brush head and dust collector are all easy to empty and clean and it’s recommended that you do this in order to maintain the vacuum for longer
- The Handheld Device – detaching the head from the wand, it converts into the perfect handheld cordless. We’ve used it to clean everything, along with the assortment of attachments. It’s great for the car because we don’t have to reverse it on to the drive to get plug access and the motorised pet tool is a REVELATION. I use it religiously now to clean Maddie’s bed and it’s amazing, sucking up all the hair as though it’s nothing. It’s also great for the stairs where for some reason the pet hairs seem to cling on extra hard
I’m trying to think if there’s anything that I don’t like about it, but genuinely it’s such a great device that it’s hard to criticise. If I had one minor complaint, it’s that the handheld device is a little on the bulky side so if you’re trying to get into a little nook with one of the attachments it isn’t as flexible as using a hose would be. But it’s a very minor flaw considering how much we’ve tested it over the past couple of months.
So let’s return to the subject of this post – do I feel motivated to clean? And the answer is sort of. I’ve realised the Shark Cordless does very definitely make life easier if I just spent 10 minutes a day when I get home from work whizzing round the downstairs where the animals spend most of their time. That in turn would make Saturday cleaning so much speedier. But am I now a retentive spotless home owner? No chance, sadly. Life’s just too short isn’t it? After all, those 10 minutes each evening is time when I could be settling down with a gin and tonic after a hard day at work…
Thank you so much to Shark for gifting me this product in return for an honest review. All words, images and opinions are my own unless otherwise stated. It retails at £479.99 but is currently on offer at £379.99!