In February it will be two years since we moved into our home and we’ve tentatively started to talk about plans for the future, which is both scary and exciting. We knew when we moved in that there were numerous ways we wanted to restore and refurbish the house which whilst absolutely liveable has been really quite unloved by previous owners.
One of the more ambitious projects we want to tackle is to build a ground floor extension on the back of the dining room which would house a new kitchen, creating an open plan kitchen diner and then turning our existing diddy kitchen into a utility room and downstairs toilet.
It all feels like such a pipedream but we do need to start thinking and planning so we know what finance we need to raise (the boring bit, ugh!) So I’ve started composing a little utility room board over on Pinterest, mainly because it’s quite fun.
Image : Pinterest
For once I have absolutely no idea what style to go for but there are some features we’d love to have:
- Outdoor access – currently there is a back door from our kitchen onto the patio but if we got planning permission to extend then that door would become a wall so we’d have to think about where else to put the door. The door is necessary so we can all come and go with messy boots and dog/s without having to go through the house so we’d probably put it on the side where we have a window at the moment.
- Underfloor heating – yeah baby! I mean, why wouldn’t you?!
- Space for a boiler – our boiler at the moment is in the main bathroom and I really, really want it moved so we’d have extra space there for a standalone shower. The thought of relocating it scares Pete but I look at this project and think if we’re going to do it, let’s go for it!
- Appliances – we have so little storage space in our kitchen at the moment because there is a washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer all integrated in. I’d love space for the washing machine and tumble dryer in the utility room just to be able to close the door and pretend washing doesn’t exist
- A dog and cat home! Maddie sleeps in the kitchen at night but is in the dining room during the day. It would be great to have more space in a utility room that it could be the designated dog home.
- Clever storage space – we may have to sacrifice our understairs cupboard to make enough space for both the utility room and downstairs toilet so a place to put things like the hoover, mops, buckets etc would be great.
- A sink – I do know I want one of those beautiful butler sinks. At least that’s a start!
I know it will all happen one day, it always does. In the meantime I can have lots of fun looking for inspiration – come join me over on Pinterest here, and you can also find me on Facebook and Instagram.
Do you have a utility room? What are your must-haves?